Everyone followed the 3/50 Project whenever possible?
The 3/50 Project is one that starts with you.
Think of a store here in Gardnerville that you have shopped in and found the perfect gift, pair of pants, candle, or bar of SOAP :). Remember walking into that store and being greeted with a smile, asked how you are, can I help you find anything question, I am here if you need any help. Now can you think of 3 of them? I sure can. Would you miss them if they disappeared?
Now $50 isn't a drop in the bucket these days. With the economy still trying to make a rebound times are still a little (or a lot) tough. But.....what if 1/2 of the employed people in the United States spent $50 each a month in a locally owned business? It would generate over 40 billion dollars in revenue. What if only 1/4 of the people did it? Or if everyone spent $25 a month. I spend that on candy every month. Yes I buy it at a local store, but what if I spent that $25 at a small local business to show my support and let them know that I appreciate them.
For every $100 spent in locally owned business $68 returns to the community. Spending the same amount at a chain store returns $43 dollars, and shopping online returns NOTHING.
Main Street Gardnerville, NV has 10 reasons to shop local.
1. Local taxes from spending your money helps fund local police and fire departments.
2. Local merchants contribute to local organizations. I know I give to many non-profit organizations every time they ask. I run the raffle for the Douglas High School Volleyball Team Fundraiser, The Mud Fest Volleyball Tournament http://tinyurl.com/yex5wsd and I asked over 50 local business for donations. Do you know how many I got. Over 40. Now that is community involvement!
3. Shopping keeps more cars off the road, less pollution.
4. Taxes from businesses pay for road improvements.
5. By supporting local merchants your keep them employed and help increase their income. Then they can come to your restaurant to eat, or buy your house, or have you landscape their yard. In short, they can shop local too.
6. Shopping local is a chance to see your friends! Keep in touch and see and meet others that live in Gardnerville.
7. When you buy from a local business you are talking to the owner most of the time. What a great way to get good customer service.
8. The tax dollars paid to the town from the local businesses pay for the up keep of our beautiful parks right here in town.
9. Money spent local keeps our economy strong and creates jobs. Wouldn't it be nice if every kid who wanted one could get a part time job local and pay for their own gas and insurance? Wouldn't it be nice not to have to drive the HWY 395 corridor to Carson City just to make a few bucks? Just the time saved would give them time to get a lot more homework done!
10. By shopping local you take ownership in your community.
Invest in your future and make this community yours! Shop Local!